The city of Athens
Athens is the centre of ancient Greece, the city of the Parthenon temple and a vibrant metropolis that never sleeps.
Make sure you arrive/leave a few days earlier/later so that you will have the chance to enjoy the city. Here are the Top 10 things that you can do in Athens (brought to you by our local community):
- Join our Thursday “Tour of Athens” *
- Visit the Parthenon temple and the Αcropolis Μuseum
- Walk around the Acropolis hill
- Discover the old city (Plaka, Anafiotika)
- Go to Monastiraki for shopping
- Visit Lycabettus hill and Exarchia
- Buy original Greek products (olive oil, olives, herbs) / Check out these stores -> Ergon Yolenis
- Taste the famous Greek cuisine / Favourite places for food -> ΑΣΤΕΡ Atlantikos Elvis Klimataria Karamanlidika Zahari & Alati / Favourite place for dessert -> Serbetia
- In a city that never sleeps you have to go for drinks -> Galaxy Six Dogs Taf Briki Alexandrino Tsin Tsin Ba
- Visit Stavros Niarchos Foundation Cultural Center
*On Thursday afternoon, we are organising a tour of Athens, make sure you will let us know that you are interested when you register for the event.
Need more info about Athens? Visit this site -> http://www.thisisathens.org/
Walking Tour of Athens
Join our walking tour get the chance to explore our city! Please sign up for the tour, when you register for the event. In case we don’t have enough participants, we might need to cancel. But we don’t want to, so please sign up!
More info coming soon.
If you are looking for budget accommodation, here are our recommendations:
- Find a local host. Please say that you are interested in being hosted when you register for the event.
- Book an Airbnb apartment. This is a very affordable option, especially if you share with a few people.
We recommend booking accommodation in the area shown below, or close to a metro station (blue line).
Transportation from/to the airport
You can take the blue metro line, the suburban railway, the bus or hire a taxi.
- METRO Ticket to or from Airport (Regular) – 10,00€
- BUS Ticket to or from Airport(Regular) – 6,00€
- Taxi Fare ~ 40,00€
Transportation in the city of Athens
The center of Athens is quite small and you can easily walk some distances. Otherwise, metro is probably the most convenient way to move around.
- Regular Ticket for all modes of 90 minutes (invalid to the Airport lines) – 1,40€
- 5-days Ticket for all modes (invalid to the Airport lines) 9,00€
Find detailed table with ticket prices here.
Our venues are near the area of Blue Line – Kerameikos Metro Station.
Transportation by taxi
It is really easy finding a taxi in Athens and the fares are fairly cheap. Beware, there is additional charge for 12a.m.- 5a.m. fares.
There is a really handy mobile app the Beat.
Transportation by car
Unless you are a local, from the south of Italy or from Turkey, good luck!
The first signs of spring in Athens begin to appear in March. The average temperature is usually around 16°C or a bit higher. But, in a city that’s sunny almost 300 days per year, you have good chances that you will enjoy a lot of sunshine.
Just to be on the safe side, check the weather forecasts before you pack your suitcase.