The city of Athens
Athens is the centre of ancient Greece, the city of the Parthenon temple and a vibrant metropolis that never sleeps.
Make sure you arrive/leave a few days earlier/later so that you will have the chance to enjoy the city. Here are the Top 10 things that you can do in Athens (brought to you by our local community):
- Join our Tour of Athens*
- Visit the Parthenon temple and the Αcropolis Μuseum
- Walk around the Acropolis hill
- Discover the old city (Plaka, Anafiotika)
- Go to Monastiraki for shopping
- Visit Lycabettus hill and Exarchia
- Visit National Garden of Athens & Zappeion
- Watch the Changing of the Guard Ceremony at Syntagma
- Buy original Greek products (olive oil, olives, herbs) / Check out these stores -> Ergon Yolenis
- Taste the famous Greek cuisine
Favourite places for food -> Laika Korova Elvis Laini Seychelles
Favourite places for brunch -> Kinono Bel Ray Minu Wild Souls Six Dogs
Favourite vegan & vegetarian places -> Mama Tierra Veganaki Feyrouz Cookoomela Grill Vegan Beat Athens Winners Vegan Avocado
Favourite places for snack -> Marika Tarts Up
Favourite places for dessert -> Serbetia I Cake you Portatif Choureal
- In a city that never sleeps you have to go for drinks -> Bios Couleur Locale Galaxy Bar @Hilton Klouvi Hotel Chelsea Barrett Praxitelous Bar Ble Papagalos Upupa Epops
- Explore greek culture & contemporary art-> Visit EMST National Gallery Stavros Niarchos Foundation Cultural Center Goulandris Foundation
*On Thursday we are organising the Tour of Athens with the locals! Make sure you will let us know that you are interested when you register for the event.
Need more info about Athens? Visit this site -> http://www.thisisathens.org/
If you are looking for budget accommodation, here are our recommendations:
- Book an Airbnb apartment. This is a very affordable option, especially if you share with a few people.
We recommend booking accommodation in the area shown below, or close to a metro station (blue line).
Transportation from/to the airport
You can take the blue metro line, the suburban railway, the bus or hire a taxi.
- METRO Ticket to or from Airport (Regular) – 9,00€
- BUS Ticket to or from Airport (Regular) – 5,50€
- Taxi Fare ~ 40,00€
Transportation in the city of Athens
The center of Athens is quite small and you can easily walk some distances. Otherwise, metro is probably the most convenient way to move around.
For more information about the public transports’ fare pricing click here.
Our venues are near the area of Blue Line – Kerameikos Metro Station.
Transportation by taxi
It is really easy finding a taxi in Athens and the fares are fairly cheap. Beware, there is additional charge for 12a.m.- 5a.m. fares.
Transportation by car
Unless you are a local, from the south of Italy or from Turkey, good luck!
The first signs of summer in Athens begin to appear in May. The average temperature is usually around 23°C or a bit higher. In a city that’s sunny almost 300 days per year, the sure thing is that you will enjoy a lot of sunshine! 😎
Just to be on the safe side, check the weather forecasts before you pack your suitcase.